ELIZABETH CITY, NC- Hurricane Sandy definitely caused havoc along the Eastern Coast of the U.S. but luckily for Elizabeth City, not much harm was done other than minor (comparatively) property damage, power outages, some fallen trees and school closings. And that is fortunate. However, many others have had massive flooding, destroyed homes, and seventy-two people have died in total due to the storm.
There are ways that you can help people in the hardest hit areas by Hurricane Sandy! The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has provided these guidelines and tips for what can be done to help in a variety of ways from their website:
- Donate cash. Cash will allow the agency you choose to donate to the ability to get the most needed recourses as quickly as possible, as well as puts money into the local economy when it needs it most!
- Donate through a trusted organization. There are obvious choices to donate to such as the Red Cross, but each state has its own list of voluntary organizations as well
- Give blood. Surprisingly, the storm has canceled a number of blood drives, and the need for blood, usually in short supply as is, is eve more needed! To schedule a blood donation or for more information about giving blood, visit redcrossblood.orgor call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
- Contact and sign up with existing non-profit organizations before coming to the disaster area. You may be well intentioned, but if there are to many unsolicited volunteers just showing up, people will be getting in the way more than helping.
- Be patient. Once the media hype has died down, there will still be need for volunteers and recovery - especially when the long-term recovery period starts.
For even more information, you can visit the FEMA site at: http://www.fema.gov/volunteer-donate-responsibly
Your Elizabeth City Chevy Dealer is just as concerned as you about getting our area, and the rest of America back to normal as quickly as possible. We also support those that serve our nation by offering Coast Guard discounts and Navy discounts. Perry Auto Group has two dealership locations at 1005 W. Ehringhaus St, Elizabeth City, NC, 27909 or 1001 Halstead Blvd Elizabeth City, NC 27909. Call us at (252) 338-9100 with any questions!